Custom Search

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Zombie-rific


Last night Chris and I went to go see Slither. It was pretty good. A little gory. A little humorous, and it had a unique sci-fi twist on the zombie genre. I don't know why, but lately I've really taken to this genre after overlooking it for so long. I watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead a year ago and surprisingly it was very good. Turns out that the guy who re-wrote it also wrote Slither. I've even put on my Netflix queue all the old Romero zombie classics. I'm eagerly waiting for those. Also I've been reading The Walking Dead, a really good comic book series which delves into the human nature and relationships during a zombie breakout. Kind of like 28 days Later, another great zombie movie.

After all this zombie madness, it led me to wonder about the origin of the genre. The origin of the zombie condition. Is it a disease? Is it supernatural? I'm going to find out. More on it later...

1 comment:

punkcichlid said...

After doing some digging, it looks like zombie-ism has roots in haitian voodoo. Over time, hollywood's perception of zombies have changed throughout the decades, most noticeably from Romero's works and the changes have seem to stick. i.e. transmission through biting, slow moving, brainless, cannibalizing. However origins range from radiation exposure, to different forms of vampirism and even through it's true scientific means through use of toxins. (Serpent and the Rainbow) Toxins isolated from plants and animals (similar to fugu) containing TDT taken in small amounts which are usually in powder form cause paralysis and near death, where the subject appears dead, but is unable to move and sometimes unconscious, or maybe even conscious.