
My first guitar was a birthday present from my dad. It was a fat-strat Fender stratocaster. Has 3 pickups, but no whammy bar. It's pretty much my regular use guitar and I would never trade it or sell it ever. It has a lot of sentimental value to me and till this day I rock out with it. All the greats have used stratocasters such as Clapton, Hendrix, and even the inventor of the rock and roll lick, Chuck Berry.

My second guitar is my economy guitar. It only cost $80, but despite it low price, it serves my needs and playing style. It's only has one P-90 pick up but sounds really crunch for its small size and capability. Perfect for 3 chord power pop and punk style songs. Really, it's a steal at the price I got it. They range from 90-130 bones.

When sound and tone started to become more important to my sensitive ears, I opted to go for something vintage. I went with this '52 Telecaster to provide the tone I would need for some sweet licks and solos. It was well worth the price and sweet guitar indeed!

If there was ever a guitar I picked up for pure aesthetics. This was it. A classical shape body, with modern markings. It just looked too sleek and cool. Kind of reminds me of an AC Cobra. I call this one "Eleanor". The one in this picture has only one humbucker, but mine is dual.

I don't own this guitar per se, but I bought it as a christmas gift for my dad. I looked far and wide for this guitar, and luckily found one, before the pulled off all the standards and started only selling the "Elitist" and artist signature series. My second guitar by Epiphone, and made popular by the the Beatles. John Lennon and George Harrison were said to by a couple of these guitars because they looked and sounded so elegant. This is also my first hollow body, semi-acoustic electric guitar. This is a cherry sunburst Epiphone Casino.
A couple years ago, my aunt and uncle went to the Phillippines and I asked him to pick me up a banduria if he could. He stopped at Cebu and picked me up Lumanog electric, stratocaster replica. Far from what I asked for I graciously accepted. It is really sturdy, and sounds a good as any stratocaster I've played. I looked up Lumanogs, and supposedly, the name is synonomous with the word guitar. I couldn't find a picture of one, but just think of a black stratocaster, and there you have it!

Lastly, on a recent trip to Las Vegas I bought a Rickenbacker. I broke down and splurged. It is a very handsome guitar and decided to go with a Red Fireglo color. This is by far the best guitar I've ever owned. They are all hand-made here in the good 'ol USA and the cool thing about each RIC ever made is that each one is different, YET, still perfect. The output from the pickups is at LEAST 2x louder. It's LOUD. It's CRIES and it WAILS. And it the same time, retains the bright tone and crunchiness. Not only does it have a lot of character, it growls when it's on my dirty channel or on distortion. To anyone who says Rics are one trick ponies, I beg to differ. They have class, presence and definitely a lot of versatility.
A lot of people ask "Why so many guitars?" I say its because I'm addicted. But it's a healthy addiction. A guitar is like a fine wine. Different brands and vintages. Another factor is nostalgia... To sound like the greats, just brings out a warm feeling inside of me, which is why vintage guitars are so appealing. Just like wine, there are different guitars that have different sounds, looks and feels to them. There are a other couple guitars that I'm eyeing... But it'll be a while. I would love to own an Gibson, either a Les Paul or SG and last time I went to Vegas, I was eyeing a Mosrite, which I thought went out of business. Until I get another guitar... happy guitar playing!
No comments:
Post a Comment