Custom Search

Monday, March 13, 2006

Show last Saturday

Went solo to Balazo to see the Dead Pets(UK), Los Dryheavers(Watsonville, CA) and La Plebe(SF).

After getting home from Kristi's Saturday night I contemplated going to Balazo. Kept on backing out because 1: The Weather sucked. IT was raining. and 2. I don't like flying solo.

Ever since Rich moved to Vegas I've gone to lesser shows. Sometimes I'll go to a show with Chris, Jesse or Rich V, but I just can't find the motivation to go by myself. It was already 10:30, but I figured I'd make it to watch La Plebe because they would always come out to the Eskapo shows back in the days, I thought it would be cool and adventurous if I went by myself. I missed out on the 'heavers but managed to make it halfway through the Dead Pets. They were awesome... UK Ska-punk.... the real thing... accents and all. They were excellent. I saw them last time the played with La Plebe at Studio Z back when Augie was still with the band. Man have things changed. Ran into little Javier, and bought him a beer. I rarely drink anymore so I ended up buying myself a mojito and a tecate. We talked for a bit and caught up. It was good talking with him. I walked around and recognized some of the regulars. I realized I haven't been out to a show like this for a while. It was refreshing... La Plebe went up next and I stood in front of Lupe, the bass player. He acknowledged me and I rose my drink in his honor. It was cool seeing those guys. Last time I saw La Plebe play, Eskapo was still together. They zipped through their set. I have to admit I'm not as familiar with the new songs, but they did play some of their classics, as well as a new song! It was a typical show though. The crowd was hyped, moshing and crowd surfing. I spent most of my time watching the mics in case they fell. It was the roadie-instinct in me I guess... They even dedicated a song our friend Bruce and some folks in the crowd yelled back in acknowledgement. That was really touching. Javier and I toasted from across the stage. After the show, I talked to the guys and congratulated them on a great show. I talked to Alberto and Tony about possibly doing a show in August for Bruce. They said they were down... but it's all I need to motivate myself to get a good show together.... So I'll say it right now... Minority Threat II will be in August. All in all, it was a good night... As for now, I'm anticipating the return of Eskapo next week...

No comments: