Custom Search

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

One of my favorite persons...

Henry Rollins.  Love him or hate his opinionated persona, he is definitely the working man's hero.  One of the few punks of his age to make it and retain his integrity and at least in my eyes, respect.

I got to meet him at a small panel that he moderated at San Diego Comicon in 2007.  The subject was special effects and Horror Movies.  Given the exciting subject matter, you can tell that the 15 people in the room including myself weren't there to talk about horror movies, but to talk about him, Black Flag or hardcore punk in general.

Respectfully, we let him do his thing, but at the end when he started fielding questions a lot of people asked him about the state of music and punk in general  today.  And I tend to agree with him.  You don't have to like the stuff that you are force fed by MTV, Clear Channel and what ever the major labels give you.  There is and always be an independent and DIY scene.

With Black Flag and other line ups like FLAG floating and reunited, I would LOVE to see Rollins front Black Flag once again...  with Minor Threat reunited?!!!   One can only wish.

I never told my friends from Eskapo, but when I met Rollins, I gave him my listening copy of the first album.  So there you have it.  He has a copy of Eskapo.   Whether he'll listen to it?  I don't know...   Play it on his radio show?  Highly doubt it but you never know.   Maybe he'll get to it 6-7 years later and have his mind blown and realize that there is a bilingual Filipino hardcore band, and do some history to find out there was a thriving hardcore scene (TRC) that rivaled his own during HIS time and explode?   That would be the shit...   And I could possibly be the lynch pin.   Wishful thinking.

So when I talked to him he was very gracious and down to earth, compared to all the videos I've seen him ranting and being angry.  What a cool guy...

 I have three clips.  The first is him and a short bio.  The second is his thoughts on music.  The third is a young version of himself performing with Black Flag in the 80's.

No comments: