Custom Search

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reppin' the V

The past two times I've tried to post I keep getting interrupted and I end up scrapping them. A lot of things going on on my mind. So far it's been a busy '08. I've been checking out the job market and with the current economy I don't think I should leave just yet (although I keep telling myself I will)

My hometown of Vallejo is on the verge of bankruptcy due to contracts with the local public safety union. I would think the problems are a vast combination of things.

1. Bad decisions with the fate of Mare Island.
2. Not enough businesses.
3. High crime rate, and upscaling violence and homicide rates.
4. Current housing market.
5. Costs of public safety (i.e. firemen and policemen working OT)

The list can go on and on but I think these things have to be addressed.

Vallejo wanted MI to be a housing area. MI isn't built for it. It should be commercial/industrial. We don't need more houses people won't buy and probably can not afford. I'm sure the city was banking on people buying up property to cover costs, but with the slow market and dwindling house market, it just couldn't help cover the costs. Vallejo was banking on something they were projecting they would get, but in the end, would never have.

With a booming population, the citizens of Vallejo are spending their money outside of town. Pretty much everywhere except Vallejo. Ironically, everything is 10 minutes to an hour in every direction, and all we have to show is Target and Costco. The downtown is dead, except the days they have the farmers market. And no one dares to walk around at night, especially with crime rates going up. Rival gangs, shootings, drugs dealers and prostitutes are showing up. We're a smaller scale Oakland and an upcoming Richmond. I don't know how our little town can be this bad, considering that we are literally 5 minutes away from each town, all of which are booming, safe and thriving on the business front.

As for Public Safety? Yes it is important. But why should they have to be paid all this extra OT, for partying and what not? I think they should be driving around at night, especially in high crime hotspots to make our town more secure. Like I've said, the list can go on and on. Schools, teachers and education... an actual bookstore... Overpaid city officials that don't do squat. There's alot of needs, but with all the impending budget cuts that are going to happen. I foresee that our little town will be going through a long, deeper slump.

For every positive there's 3 negatives to bring it down. Although the future looks bleak, Vallejo is still my home. And it's where I'm from. I'm still optimistic about some things. I really hope the new mayor can do something, but most of all, I hope the people and citizens of Vallejo will speak their mind and do something to help improve our town.

1 comment:

Lman1138 said...

I feel ya. I love the V cuz I lived here most my life, but I hate to say I hate it too. Growing up here I've seen it all go downhill. Inept leaders who can't see times are changing and who are more concerned about their pockets, contributing to rising crime... so fucking ghetto. How many times has Vallejo turned down some kind of proposal to have a mall, or outdoor shopping centers, or road improvements? Where did they think money was going to come from? Why is it we Vallejoans always end up shopping elsewhere? How can they spend 80% of the city budget on policemen and firefighters (who seriously need to get off their high horses) and not have money coming in? BOOO to the city and union leaders.